We have a fun add-on for your Spice Madam BBQ Pork Char Siu recipe! Cantonese Pork buns are easy to make once you’ve prepared the pork. Just dice the pork into small bit-size chunks, mix with a quick homemade sauce and stuff them into a pillowy bun dough for a freshly baked bite of Hong Kong flavor.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) of dried yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Egg wash: 1 egg beaten with a dash of water
- 12 oz char sui pork (from your Spice Madam Hong Kong box)
- 2 green onions/spring onions
- 1 tablespoon hoisin
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
Make the dough & filling:
1. Place the sugar & warm water in a bowl, mix until the sugar has dissolved. Add yeast & leave for 10 – 15 min until frothy.
2. Sift flour in to a large bowl. Add yeast mixture, egg, oil, salt, and stir until dough starts to form. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for approximately 10 minutes (or use a stand mixer with a dough hook) . The dough should be smooth and slightly elastic.
3. Place in a lightly oiled bowl & cover with a damp cloth. Leave to rise until it is double in size (1-2 hrs).
4. Make the filling: Finely dice the pork & finely slice the green onions. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or pan.
5. Add diced char sui pork to the wok/pan and stir then add spring onions, cook for 1 minute.
6. Add hoisin, dark soy sauce and sesame oil to the pork mixture, stir fry for one minute.
7. Mix cornflour and stock together and then add to the pork mixture.
8. Stir well and keep cooking until the mixture thickens, 1 or 2 minutes.
9. Remove mixture from wok/pan and place in a bowl to cool. Set aside until ready to use.
Fill the buns and bake!
1. Preheat the oven to 400º F
2. Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and then divide into 12 round balls.
3. Use a rolling pin to roll out to 2 inch circles. Then pick the piece of dough up and gently pull the edges to enlarge to about 3 inches. (Keeps the dough slightly thicker in the centre so they won’t split)
4. Place 1 Tbsp of filling in the center and gather the dough around to form a bun. Place the bun seal side down on your baking tray. Continue with rest of dough.
5. Once all buns are complete brush surface with egg wash.
6. Place in a preheated oven of 400º F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.