Here’s a recipe for homemade tart dough, that you can use in place of the store-bought puff pastry sheets. Don’t be intimidated about making this on your own – the hardest part about this recipe is waiting for the dough to chill between steps!
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 1/2 Tbsp
- 7 Tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature but not softened)
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- Combine flour, salt, and 1/2 Tbsp sugar in a bowl.
- Add the butter and break it up roughly with your fingers, making sure to keep visible little chunks of butter in the dough. Add 2 Tbsp of cold water and bring the dough together.
- Add a tiny bit more water if necessary, but not too much. Cover the dough and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured board, knead gently, and form into a neat rectangle. Roll the dough, forming an 8×20 inch rectangle. Try to keep the edges even and don’t overwork the butter streaks. Flecks of butter should still be visible in the dough.
- Fold the top third of the dough down to the center, then the bottom third up and over that. Give the dough a quarter turn (left or right) and roll out again to three times the length. Fold the same way as before, cover, and chill for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, make the egg tart filling (recipe in your Spice Madam Hong Kong box. Don’t have a subscription yet? You can sign up here: http://spicemadam.com)