Welcome to the Spice Starter Kit Recipe page! We hope you are enjoying this dash of global flavor in your pantry. Below are a few recipes to get you guys started trying out your spices!
Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken (Curry Powder & Lemongrass)
Adapted from Food & Wine Magazine, October 2007 “Simple, Tasty Vietnamese Cooking”
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast/thigh, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 TBsp minced lemongrass
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 scallion for garnishing
1. In a bowl, combine the fish sauce, garlic, curry powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the sugar. Add the chicken meat to coat.
2. In a large skillet, mix 2 Tbsp sugar & 1 TBsp of water and cook over high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking until a golden color is achieved. Add oil to the pan.
3. Add lemongrass, shallots & chilies and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the chicken and stir fry until chicken is cooked through (7-10 min). The sauce should thicken slightly.
4. Serve with steamed rice.
Chicken Souvlaki (Greek Herb Blend)
- 3lbs chicken
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 3 Tbs Greek herb blend
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Zest from 1 lemon
- ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper
- Wooden kebab skewers (optional)
- Cut meat into 1-1.5 inch cubed pieces.
- In bowl, combine: olive oil, lemon juice, Greek herb blend, garlic, lemon zest, salt, pepper and stir to combine. Taste & add more salt if desired.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken cubes and toss to coat the meat thoroughly.
- Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Take skewers (if using) and add meat (start at bottom and work your way to the top of the skewer). If not using skewers, just cook meat directly on the pan.
- Heat a pan with olive oil.
- Add skewers and cook about 4-5min on each side.
- Once done, remove, and serve with some fresh tzatziki!